Private funds paid for the Memorial Chapel, which was dedicated in May 1931, and the Hoff Memorial Fountain, in front of Building 1, in 1933.* (The original penguin sculptures would eventually be replaced with plastic replicas.**)
Image: National Archives and Records Administration
* A Pictorial History 62-63; “Bids on 11 Buildings for Reed Hospital to Be Asked Soon,” The Washington Post, March 10, 1926; “Memorial Chapel at Walter Reed,” The Washington Post, May 30, 1929; “Hospital Building Bids will Be Asked,” The Washington Post, Apr. 25, 1929.
** A Pictorial History, 182.