Movies on the Lawn
The Parks presents Movies on the Lawn, the second season of our film series in partnership with the Home Rule Music and Film Preservation Foundation. The 2022 season is back with four fun films that will pique your curiosity or send you home singing.
- Saturday, September 17: RSVP here
The event will start at 6 pm with pre-show music by DJ Don Vik, who will be spinning vinyl. Blankets will be available (if the ground isn’t too wet). Bring your own chairs, picnics, and popcorn, and enjoy this family friendly line-up. The event is free, and all are welcome. HR Records will be hawking vinyl, Anxo will be selling its best cider and beer, J&J Mex-Taqueria will be selling tacos, quesadillas, and more. New this year: Grass Fed Griddle will be selling burgers.
The film will start at dark (around 7:15 pm).
- Respect: 2021, PG-13. Following the rise of Aretha Franklin’s career from a child singing in her father’s church’s choir to her international superstardom, Respect is the remarkable true story of the music icon’s journey to find her voice; starring Jennifer Hudson, Forest Whitaker, and Marlon Wayans. | RSVP here
- Saturday, July 23: Hidden Figures: 2016, PG.
- Saturday, August 6: Goonies: 1985, PG. Movies on the Lawn returns Saturday, August 6, with a feature showing of the 1980s classic Goonies. Come at 6:30 to chill on the Great Lawn and hear a special string and vocal quartet by the Washington Bach Consort! Tenor Patrick Kilbride, cellist Amy Domingues, and violinists Leslie Nero and Risa Browder will present Baroque pieces by Bach, Handel, and Purcell inspired by the setting sun and the sounds of the sea.
- Saturday, September 17: Respect: 2021, PG-13. Following the rise of Aretha Franklin’s career from a child singing in her father’s church’s choir to her international superstardom, Respect is the remarkable true story of the music icon’s journey to find her voice; starring Jennifer Hudson, Forest Whitaker, and Marlon Wayans. | RSVP here
- Saturday, October 15: Encanto: 2022, PG. A Colombian teenage girl has to face the frustration of being the only member of her family without magical powers; starring Stephaine Beatriz, Maria Cecillia Botero, and John Leguizamo. | RSVP here
Movies on the Lawn is sponsored by HR Records, Anxo Cider, Chuck Levin’s and Ameriprise Financial.
Location: The Great Lawn is located at the center of the campus. Enter from 16th Street NW, or enter from Georgia Avenue at Butternut Street NW, and follow Main Drive around to the grassy area.
How to Get There: Parking is limited on the site, so walking or biking is recommended. Bike parking is available on racks and signage throughout the site. Some small parking lots are available inside The Parks gate near the playground; and $10 parking will be available in Abrams Hall (west of the Hoff Memorial Fountain Circle: follow the signs).
The Parks at Walter Reed events are sponsored by Children’s National Hospital, Aspen Square at The Parks by NVHomes, Pepco, KeVita, The Vale, The Brooks, The Hartley, Streetsense, and BKV Group.