Movies on the Lawn
The Parks presents Movies on the Lawn, a three-month film series in partnership with Blackfilm.com and the Home Rule Music and Film Preservation Foundation. Each film showing follows an amazing musical performance. For Saturday, October 2:
- 5 to 6:30 pm: Soul/funk performance by band StonedXrch
- 7 pm: Movie event starts. Queen of Katwe (2016, PG) will begin at dark, the Disney feature film about an inspiring young woman from Uganda who becomes a chess champion.
Blankets will be available (if the ground isn’t too wet). Bring your own chairs, picnics, and popcorn, and enjoy this family friendly line-up. The event is free, and all are welcome. HR Records will be hawking vinyl, Anxo will be selling its best cider, Everyday Sundae will have its amazing ice-cream, J&J Taqueria will be selling tacos, quesadillas, and more, and Bobby Harris from Ameriprise Financial will provide information on financial planning. Additional food vendors will be announced.
- Saturday, August 21: Get On Up, PG-13, following children’s performer Finding Rhythm Collective and jazz group Butcher Brown. Get On Up (2014, PG-13) will begin at dark, the James Brown biopic following James Brown’s rise to stardom. The film stars Chadwick Boseman, Viola Davis, Dan Aykroyd, Lennie James, Nelsan Ellis and Craig Robinson.
- Saturday, September 11: Soul, PG, the Disney Pixar animated feature about a jazz musician who has to die to find his calling in life, following a special quartet performance by National Symphony Orchestra musicians with selections from Haydn and Mozart; details here.
- Saturday, October 2: Queen of Katwe, (2016, PG), following a soul/funk performance by StonedXrch
Movies on the Lawn is co-sponsored by HR Records, Timber Pizza, Anxo Cider, Everyday Sundae, Ameriprise Financial – Bobby Harris, Flock DC, and Councilmember Janeese Lewis George.
Location: The Great Lawn is located at the center of the campus. Enter from 16th Street NW, or enter from Georgia Avenue at Butternut Street NW, and follow Main Drive around to the grassy area.
How to Get There: Parking is limited on the site, so walking or biking is recommended. Bike parking is available on racks and signage throughout the site. Some small parking lots are available inside The Parks gate near the playground; and street parking is also available along Georgia Avenue and Butternut Street NW.
The Parks at Walter Reed events are sponsored by Children’s National Hospital, Fidelity National Title: National Commercial Services, FRESHFARM Markets, Lime, Primrose Schools, Torti Gallas, and Streetsense.